Sunday, December 13, 2009

Pepita Fettucini with Spinach & Cranberries - Vegan Yum Yum (p.208)

THE RECIPE COURTESY OF ABOVE-REFERENCED BOOK:
Fettucini for one [Wow, that's fairly nondescript...it lends itself an "aura of mysteriousness" haha, MD :)]
1/3 c. raw, unsalted pepitas or pumpkin seeds [Couldn't find pepitas, I used pumpkin seeds]
1 TBL. oil
2 large handfuls of spinach, torn
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 TBL. tamari or soy sauce
1 TBL. maple syrup
2 or 3 fresh thyme sprigs (optional) [I opted out of this option]
1/4 c. dried cranberries [Craisins to the rescue!]
____________________________________
1) Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the fettucini. While the pasta is cooking, pulse the pepitas in a food processor or blender until chopped fairly fine, then set aside. [I just chopped the pumpkin seeds by hand to the best of my ability with a chef's knife]
2) Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the spinach. Use tongs to coat the spinach in the hot oil. Add the red pepper flakes, tamari, maple syrup, and (optional) thyme. Toss in the cranberries and mix everything well. Turn off heat.
3) Drain the fettucini and add to the skillet. Add chopped pepitas and toss everything until coated. Serve immediately.

This dish looked impressive, though I wasn't particularly impressed by the taste. The sauce was on the "hot" side - perhaps I just used a heavy hand when tossing in the red pepper flakes...Regardless, I did not think that this was a spectacular recipe. However, in the event that I do, I will double the sauce recipe. Perhaps extra sauce will improve the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment