Sunday, April 4, 2010

Vegan Yum-Yum - Lemon Cranberry Muffins - p. 22

Ingredients

1/2 rounded cup dried cranberries in 1/2 c. water
2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 TBL. cornstarch or arrowroot [I used cornstarch]
zest from 1 lemon
1 c. unsweetened almond milk [I substituted vanilla soy milk]
juice from 1 lemon [my lemon yielded just under 1/4 c. juice]
1/3 c. veggie oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract [I subbed vanilla extract]

What to do:

1) Preheat oven to 400F.
2) Place the cranberries and water in a small saucepan and heat until simmering.  Simmer for 3 minutes then remove from heat.
3) In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cornstarch, and lemon zest.
4) In a separate bowl, mix together the non-dairy milk, lemon juice, veggie oil, vanilla, and almond extracts.
5) Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry until almost combined.  Drain the cranberries and fold into the batter, mixing until just combined.
6) Fill a lined muffin tin with batter, and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.  Allow muffys to cool then serve.


1 comment:

  1. Great recipe. I love the texture. I added Arrowroot flour and I believe it gave it a nice crispy texture. I baked it at 350 for 25 mins. Thanks! Happy Baking :)

    ReplyDelete