After much muffin making, it was time to do some real cookin, Spanish-style! The above referenced recipe is from: The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine (Ch-ch-Check It Out!)
2 TBL olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 c. chopped red pepper
1 large vegan chorizo link (The author recommends, and I use, Trader Joe's brand)
2 c. Arborio rice
1/2 c. frozen peas
2 tomatoes, cubed
1 tsp. saffron
4-5 c. veggie stock
sea salt, to taste
lemon wedges for garnish
1) In a large pot (Finally making use of NMcL's new(ish) Le Creuset!), heat the oil over medium low heat and saute garlic.
2) Raise heat to medium and add the peppers. Saute for 2. (minutes, duhh)
3) Add the crumbled chorizo. Saute for 10.
4) Add the rice. Stir well and cook for 1.
5) Add peas, tomatoes, saffron, and veggie stock. Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer and cover pan. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. It should be slighlty wetter than risotto.
6) Garnish with a lemon wedge and serve hot!
The author suggests that in lieu of the chorizo, you can use 1) 1 c. white beans + 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes or 2) 1 c. chopped seitan. Since, I am trying to reduce my intake of soy products, I would definitely consider trying out these protein-rich alternatives. Though I would imagine I would need to add some additional spices, since I think that the vegan chorizo added a lot of the spiciness and flavor to the dish. Also, to add complexity to the dish, the author suggests adding in 1 tsp. fennel seeds while adding the veggie stock.