Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cheezy Sauce - Veganomican (p.214)

The authors call this a quick, tangy, flavorful and low-fat sauce suitable for dressing nachos, pasta, and veggies.

2 c. veggie broth or water [I used veggie broth]
1/4 c. flour
1 TBL. olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
pinch of dried thyme (crumbled)
1/4 tsp. salt
several pinches of fresh ground black pepper
1/s tsp. tumeric
3/4 c. nutritional yeast
1 TBL. lemon juice
1 tsp. prepared (versus unprepared, come again?) yellow mustard [I used the contents of one packet that comes from Chinese takeout, which was a gift from M upstairs ...so bootleg, I know]
________________________________
1) Combine the broth or the flour and whisk until mostly dissolved.
2) Saute the garlic in the olive oil and gently cook for about 2 minutes, stirring often and being careful not to burn the garlic (Burning garlic stinks!)
3) Add thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for about 15 seconds. Raise the heat to medium. Use a whisk to stir constantly. The mixture should bubble and thicken for about three minutes (Crank the heat if it doesn't. CRANK IT, hahah DP).
4) Once the mixture is bubbling and thickening, stir for about 2 more minutes. Add the lemon juice and mustard. The mixture should resemble a thick, melty cheese.
Pour the sauce over your goodies (no, not those goodies, you perv!) and serve hot!

This cheesy sauce was on the spicy side, which may be attributable to the fact that I used veggie broth rather than water as my main liquid. Also, I did not precisely measure the turmeric, so this pungent spice might explain why the sauce came out so spicy. It was an interesting, robust flavor, and if I remember correctly, not as creamy as the other “cheese” sauce I made awhile back.

There is some sauce left, and I am curious to see how it tastes after a day in the fridge. Perhaps the sauce will mellow out a bit. It’ll probably be a nice dip for some cauliflower and other veggies. And because of the spice factor, I can see this sauce being good for nachos. Mmm, I am thinking about this sauce paired with the Toffutti Better Than Sour Cream, which would balance out the spiciness. In terms of making "cheese" sauce again, I am going to experiement with different recipes first before trying to tweak this recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment