Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Baked Acorn Squash and Apples - Online

Today at the supermarket I picked up an acorn squash to try something new. SA got me hooked on spaghetti squash, but I wanted to spice things up a bit. I stumbled upon this recipe for Baked Acorn Squash and Apples at the PostPunkKitchen website. It looks like a promising site for all things vegan.

When cutting the squash in half, an article from about.com, Acorn Squash Cooking Tips , recommends microwaving the entire squash to ease the slicing. Also, the article recommends cutting the squash in half through the stem end to the point, rather than across the diameter. The internet is great for learning how to cook (vegan and otherwise)! Its full of handy information!

The recipe did not include walnuts, rather, the addition of the nuts was suggested by a person in the comments section of the article. Always concerned with the protein content of my diet, I forged ahead and added two fistfuls (haha my coworkers) of (wal)nuts to the apple mix! How nicely the walnuts browned in the oven! In the future, I might omit the canola oil from the recipe - it didn't seem to add much to the dish, with the exception of unnecessary fat...there didn't seem to be any functional benefit of the oil...

There is a recipe for Glazed Acorn Squash on the sticker...it simply entails adding orange marmalade and butter to the squash. Might try this for my next experimentation, and will veganize the recipe by using my Smart Balance Light. Again, the reviews of the different versions of Smart Balance butter sub is to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment