Sunday, November 15, 2009

Ten Minute Brownies - Student's Go Vegan Cookbook by Carole Raymond (p. 206)

I had made this recipe over the summer and made the most fudgy, dense, deliciously moist, undercooked brownies. This time, my end result was drier and more cake-like. Possible reasons: First time around I used vegan cane sugar from Whole Foods. Second time around I used regular sugar - perhaps there is some sort of functional difference between the two? Also, first time I omitted the nuts. Second time around I added a combination of chopped walnuts and chopped Craisins.

The recipe calls for a 6 x 9 bake pan, but I used what I had handy, which was an 8 x 8. Also, both times the recipe's recommended bake time was not nearly enough. In both instances, the edges cooked perfectly but the center of the pan did not. I am not sure what this is attributable to...? The beauty of vegan baking, however, is that it is 100 % safe to eat the egg-free batter, so raw, undercooked brownies are not a threat!

This time, the brownies were good, but definitely not anything like I remembered from the first time I made them. C'est la vie, I suppose!

1/4 c. canola oil
1 c. vegan chocolate chips
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
3/4 c. suagr
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. finely chopped walnuts
_______________________________

1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) Lightly oil a 6 x 9 baking pan. A coworker of mine believes this might be a small loaf pan...
3) In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips in oil. Stir occasionally and set aside when fully melted.
4) To a large bowl, add applesauce, sugar, and vanilla. Blend well. Stir in the chocolate mixture. Whip (it good) and blend well. Add the flour, baking powder and nuts and mix, just enough to combine.
5) Spoon the batter into the baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top springs when lightly touched. Let cool completely and cut into squares.



No comments:

Post a Comment