Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Vegan Yum Yum... - Coconut Lime Tofu (p. 136-137)

THE RECIPE (Courtesy of Above Referenced Book)
______________________________________________
1 brick of tofu, drained and well pressed
2/3 c. coconut milk
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 half lime
2 tsp. sugar
Zest of 1 lime

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. It's getting hot in herrre.
2) Cut tofu. The book recommends cutting fancy "bricks", I just did my usual "strips".
3) Add every ingredient save the tofu into a food processor and blend well. This is where my Magic Bullet came into handy, though the roomie does own a fancy food processor I am getting excited to try out sometime soon.
4) Add the tofu to a casserole dish and pour sauce over it. Bake for 25 minutes. Flip tofu, then bake additional 10 minutes until the vast majority of sauce has been absorbed and evaporated. Remove from oven and let dish cool a bit before (photographing) and eating.

Low-Down on the recipe:

For starters, I halved the entire recipe since I am cooking for one and did not want ridiculous amounts of leftovers, like my last experiment. My sauce used tamari, instead of soy sauce, and I found the taste to be on the salty side. (Tamari vs. Soy: What's the diff?: http://ideas.thenest.com/dinner-recipes/cooking-advice/qa/cooking-q-a-tamari-vs-soy-sauce.aspx)

Next bottle, I'll definitely buy low-sodium. Despite the saltiness though, the taste was good / on the exotic side!

This was also my first attempt at using frozen tofu. Freezing tofu definitely changes the texture - freezing it gives the tofu a light and spongy density.

Speaking of firsts, another first of mine was using a zester. Pretty cool tool!

Also, my brown basmati rice was an appropriate side. Next time, I'll reserve some sauce to add over the rice and finished tofu product.



No comments:

Post a Comment