Sunday, October 18, 2009
Snickerdoodles - Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining & Everyday (p. 246)
This is my first documented experiment in vegan fare! The recipe calls for cinnamon sugar - I found a recipe online, as follows: 1/2 c. sugar + 1 TBS. cinnamon. Finished cookies were on the hard/ cripsy side. The second batch came out better than the first - they were a little softer. As with my other vegan baking experiences, I found the finished product to be on the greasy side. Need to start experimenting with different types of vegan "butter" - for this recipe, I used Earth Balance Original, in a circular tub. Similarly, as with other vegan baked goods, the cookies were a tad salty. Pretty good snickerdoodles, nonetheless.
Thoughts for next time:
+ experiement with different "butter"
+ cook for less time
THE RECIPE (COURTESY OF ABOVE REFERENCED BOOK):
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. Earth Balance marg.
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1.5 tesp. Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 2 TBL. hot water
1.5 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. cream of tartarrrr
1/4 tsp. baking soda
Cinnamon sugar (see recipe above)
1) Cream sugar, marg, and vanilla extract in a med. size bowl
2) In small bowl, whisk egg replacer and water until foamy. Add it to the marg. and sugar mixture, then whip all together until its light and fluffy (In Scattergories, perhaps a term of endearment)
3) In a separate bowk, mix flour, cream of tartar, and baking soda. Add portions of the dry ingredients to the wet, whipped mixture then whip until combined. Alternately add dry, wet ingredients. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill for one hour.
4) Preheat oven to 375.
5) Using a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, use 1TBL. measuring spoon to measure out dough. Roll into balls and roll each ball into cinna-sugar.
6) Using fork, lightly flatten cookie.
7) "Bake for 10 minutes for chewy cookies or 12 minutes for cruchy ones." Remove from oven and let them sit for 30 sec. Gently remove cookes and cool on wire rack. --> As discussed, next time I'd reduce the baking time to 8 minutes to see if that improves the cookies texture.